EASA acoustic certificates for airplanes and helicopters

Regulation (EU) n ° 748/2012 requires that each Member State issue a noise certificate for each aircraft or helicopter with an EASA airworthiness certificate. EASA has determined the type certificate characteristics sheets concerning the noise level of these aircraft.


Noise level requirements

The noise level requirements for an aircraft are prescribed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 1, Volume I, Part II of ICAO Annex 16, and:

  1. for subsonic jets, in Volume I, Part II, Chapters 2, 3, 4 and 14 as appropriate; 

  2. for turboprop airplanes, in Volume I, Part II, Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 and 14 as appropriate; 

  3. for helicopters, in Volume I, Part II, Chapters 8 and 11, as appropriate, and 

  4. for supersonic airplanes, in Volume I, Part II, Chapters 12, as appropriate.  

Depending on the case, one or more noise levels are regulated, such as the approach noise level, the lateral / full power noise level or the takeoff noise level. These noise levels are a function of the maximum authorized take-off weight (MTOW) of the aircraft concerned.


Obtaining an acoustic certificate

In order to obtain a noise certificate, the owner must make a written request to the Direction de l'Aviation Civile enclosing a copy of the section of the flight manual mentioning the levels of noise measured and the chapter of appendix 16 according to which the measurements were carried out. The request must mention any modifications made to the aircraft which could have an influence on its noise level. The DAC then compares these data with those published by EASA. If the information is validated, the DAC issues a noise certificate (EASA Form 45).



Each aircraft or helicopter equipped with an EASA CDN must also be provided with an EASA noise certificate (Form 45). The airplanes or helicopters concerned and which do not yet have an EASA noise certificate must apply for a noise certificate as soon as possible. The DAC no longer issues or renews EASA airworthiness certificates for airplanes or helicopters that do not have an EASA noise certificate. The DAC also recalls that the noise certificate must be part of the on-board documents.

Last update